Sunday, January 18, 2009

Pierce County can read?

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Pierce County can Read?
Current mood: smart
Category: Art and Photography

Once in awhile I let my guard down and actually just live life and enjoy it. And every time I do I learn a few things.

These days I find myself spending my weekends with a group a friends that is older than I, but also potentially wiser. The group has a ritual on Fridays. We usually go out to dinner, make a round through Target and then head out for coffee. This Friday was a little different. This Friday we went to a book reading put on by Pierce County Library.

I am not an avid reader by any means. Very few authors can grab my attention fast enough or hold on to it through a book so I tend to lean towards less painful Magazines. No, not pictorials, the ones with more words than skin. Anyway back to the reading. We got there early to wait for some of the others. Looking around made me painfully aware that I was not amongst peers. I was surrounded by cane and buggy wielding Seniors and a large population of Lizbeans. This was the first thing I learned. Apparently Lesbians love to read and support the Library system and even become Librarians. None of my "Sisters" had ever shared this tidbit about their clubhouse. Who Knew!

So we hearded up into the bleachers of the PLU auditorium surrounded by the spriest of the two thousand listeners. Looking around I saw something I had never seen before. A woman two rows down was making a statement. This was not your typical TLD ( Typical Lesbian Do ). Such as the infamous Mullet. This was much more uptown. It was business up front and on the side but there was no party in the back. There was a long rat tail flowing from the base of her neck. And the crown to this jewel was a pink and white rhinestone butterfly broach clipped right to the top of that tail. I am hoping this Fashionista's taste is contagious because that hair was stunning to say the least.

Pinned into the Tupperware bleacher seats waiting for the fun to begin the roar of chatter was fractured by curdling shrieks of bag pipes. I never had an opinion about bag pipes until this evening. I even remember liking some Celtic pipe from time to time. Maybe this was a special Scottish technique that I hadn't been assaulted with before? The whole 6 minutes and 37 seconds that that thing played there was this constant gaging buzz noise in the back ground of what can only be described as bad out of tune Techno dumped. That made me wonder who dreamed up this instrument of the Beast. Centuries ago was there some man wrestling a goose and in the midst of strangling said goose did it emit a squawk that sounded like music to this barbarians ear? WTF??? It stopped!

Next up was another "Sister". The Deputy Director of the Pierce County Library System. Thanking us all for supporting the slaughter of trees by using the Library System instead of just reading free e books online. Next the Executive Editor from the Tacoma News Tribune introduced the Author of the evening who I have to admit I had never heard of before. Alexander McCall. Who walked onto stage in a Kilt. I guess I should really thank him for the serenade of the dying geese.

Professor McCall turned out to be a fascinating man who had written over 60 books through his life. An adopted Scotsman born in Zimbabwe. He refereed to himself as a serial novelist. This man made me laugh to the border of incontinence. He said that a character in one of his books was a mechanic in a garage but he preferred to refer to him a Garageist. He said that a little pompousness made for good humor. I couldn't agree more. In the middle of his speaking The last point he made was that it was in fact the little things in life that made great stories. It was the little things in life that we should all rejoice and take pleasure in. The little joke that only you and your friends get. That these were the things that gave us all purpose and joy. I have heard this all before but fro some reason I really understood it coming from him. I guess I just had to hear it from a Professor with a sense of humor.

At the end of his speaking there was to be a twenty minute question and answer session that was interrupted by a request for a doctor. One of the Golden girls down on the floor was having difficulty breathing(relax it wasn't Blanch). The paramedics wheeled her away what looked to be the plushest gurney I had ever seen. I am suspicious that is was a sleep number gurney because I saw one of the paramedics put what appeared to be a remote in her hand. As I was reading one of their lips I'm pretty sure it was determined that the root of her ailment was in fact a bag pipe overdose.

No comments:

Post a Comment