Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The white stuff please...

You either love it, or hate it and if you are a fan you then must pick a team. Red or White. I'm betting that the title had your mind in the gutter which was no accident. The topic at hand is in fact Clam Chowder. Not to be confused as racist, I only eat white.

I grew up surrounded by salt water. The son of a long line of fishermen, clam chowder is in my blood. I have many fond memories of eating chowder with various family members through the years. My favorite are with my Grandfather down at the pier. Taking turns feeding the seagulls a french fry and dipping the next in that creamy concoction before savoring one myself. Yes, seagulls love french fries.

Here at a mile high in the middle of America, fish is foreign. "Seafood" restaurants are where one gets fried frozen Pollock and fries. Denver is the home of Green Chili, which is amazing and I'm sad the the Salmon heads back home have no idea what it is, but it's not Chowder.

To get my fix these days I find myself stalking the TARGET meat department for their once every month or so delivery of Ivar's Clam chowder. I buy all the tubs they have and horde it in the freezer. I feel like a Chowder junky and well, admitting it is the first step to recovery.

2 comments:

  1. I should probably give clam chowder a chance. The closest I got to trying it was in college when I wondered why my tea tasted "fishy". Turned out my roommate was using my electric kettle to heat his clam chowder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must estimate your posting at my blog. It can? So you et a free account for Tweets?..Great post, just one request, would you be able to explain the third paragraph in more depth please? Thankyou..

    Cardsharing Server

    ReplyDelete